The Best Sleeping Temperature For Babies At Night
For the best night’s sleep, it’s recommended that we sleep in a cool room. But this advice is for adults and doesn’t mention what is best for babies.
If a room is too cold or hot, you could be putting your baby at risk. It’s just one of the many things you have to look out for as a parent to keep your baby safe and well.
So, to make sure that your little one is safe at night and gets the sleep they need, we’ve put together a guide on the best sleeping temperature for babies at night.
Why is sleep temperature important for babies?
Babies can’t regulate their temperature as we do. If they’re too cold, they can’t get up and fetch a blanket for themselves. If they’re too hot, they can’t take their clothes off.
It’s up to us to make sure that babies are comfortable and at the right temperature. During the night, this is even more important as we’re not able to get up every 30 minutes to make sure that they’re okay if you’re going to get enough sleep as well. Or, at least, as much as you can grab with a baby waking up every few hours.
In some cases, if your baby is too hot, you can also increase the risk of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome). SIDS, or cot death, is a rare condition where babies can suddenly die in their sleep. Although it’s not known what the exact cause of this condition is, parents are warned that if a baby becomes too hot the risk of this rare condition is increased.
The risk of this condition is also increased if your baby sleeps on their front, co-sleeps in a bed or is exposed to cigarette smoke.
What is the best sleeping temperature for babies?
The best sleeping temperature for babies is a room temperature between 16-20°C. This temperature paired with a lightweight sleeping bag will be comfortable and safe for your babies.
Without measuring the temperature, the room should feel comfortable and cool to you. If you think it’s too hot or cold, so will your baby.
How do I know if baby is too cold or hot at night?
You can check if your baby is too cold or hot by feeling them on their chest or the back of the head.
- If they feel hot, sweaty or look flushed, they’re too hot.
- If they feel cool or have blue hands or feet, they’re too cold.
It’s recommended to feel their chest or back of the head as their hands and feet will be naturally colder, not giving you an accurate measure of what they are feeling.
Another easy way to keep your baby at the right temperature at night is to monitor the temperature of the room with a thermostat. The ideal temperature should be between 16-20°C. If it’s any higher or lower, you need to check in on your baby.
Most thermostats are built to control the temperature of your entire house, not a single room. Depending on where your thermostat is placed, they could also read the wrong temperature if your baby’s room is smaller or has the windows open for instance.
If you’re able to move the thermostat, it’s a good idea to place it in your baby’s room. If you’re unable to move it, you might want to invest in other temperature monitors to make sure that your baby’s room is always at the optimal temperature.
The best baby room temperature monitors & devices
Looking for the best room temperature monitors & devices to use for your baby? We’ve rounded up some of our favourite products that you might want to invest in.
1. ThermoPro TP50
- Air comfort indicator: Humidity meter with humidity level icon indicates air condition: dry, comfort, wet
- High and low records: Hygrometer digital thermometer displays maximum and minimum temperature and humidity records
- Healthier home: Thermometer hygrometer with temperature and humidity monitor ensures proper indoor humidity control has important skin, allergen and other health benefits
The ThermoPro TP50 is a digital room temperature thermometer, for an incredibly affordable price.
Refreshing and remeasuring the temperature every 10 seconds, this thermometer will give you accurate readings that you can rely on. What’s more, this thermometer won’t just accurately measure the temperature of the room, but will also measure humidity levels and air condition.
The ThermoPro TP50 can be used as a deskside monitor near your baby’s crib or mounted to a wall using magnets. It’s powered by AAA batteries and comes with an extended 4 years warranty, looking after your child into well into their toddler years.
2. COMLIFE 1200W/600W Ceramic Space Heater
- 【Newest PTC Ceramic Heater】Utilizing the latest advanced PTC ceramic heating element, COMLIFE space heater can fast heat up in 2 seconds, it is energy-saving and safer than traditional heater using heating wire due to the high heat conversion rate, no naked flame, no oxygen consumption, maximize your comfort with the least cost.
- 【Visible Temperature Control】This space heater is designed with Large LED digital screen and adjustable thermostat for personalized comfort. You can press the”+” or “-” button to set a temperature between 60.8°F (16°C) and 98.6°F (37°C) depending on your comfort zone. The target temperature is visible on the digital LED screen.When ambient temperature which also can be seen on the LED reaches target temp, it will start to emit natural wind. You can reset it to higher temp or turn off the heater.
- 【Wide Angle Heating】Oscillation feature ensure extensive angle heating, press the “TURN” button, the heater will oscillate automatically at 70-degree angle，send hot air from side to side for better heat dispersal, thoroughly and efficiently warming up your space. Shiver with the cold at work? Just place this heater on or under the desk to keep your body warm, it’s a great companion in cold winter for home and office!
The COMLIFE ceramic space heater is small and portable electric heater that can be used to up the temperature in your baby’s room when it’s too cold.
Heating up in just 2 seconds, this heater is energy-saving and safer than traditional heaters, making it perfect for the baby’s room. The heater also comes with a large LED screen with a built-in thermostat, allowing you to set the optimum temperature. Once this temperature is reached, the heater will start to distribute natural wind so the room doesn’t overheat.
For even heat dispersal, the COMLIFE 1200W/600W Ceramic Space Heater can be set to oscillate at a 70° angle, blowing warm air evenly around the room.
3. Winique Stroller Fan
- 【 Flexible Octopus Style Tripod 】 Portable handheld mini fan comes with a flexible octopus style tripod,which enables to bent straight as handheld fans, wind, wrap tightly and clip on baby stroller, car seats,hanging in camping tents,stand as desktop fan and mount your cellphone.
- 【Ultra Quiet Operation and Strong Wind】The personal mini fan is built with professional high performance brushless motor with faster speed, strong wind and low noise (below 57dB). 3 adjustable wind speeds meet the needs of different environments and temperature changes.
- 【2600mAh Battery Powered with 360°Rotation】Battery-powered fan contains 2600mAh rechargeable battery,and can be fully recharged in 3 Hrs. 360°rotation design provides omnidirectional wind airflow from different directions and adjust as required.
The Winique stroller fan is a battery-powered fan on a flexible tripod, allowing you to position it in the perfect position for baby. Lightweight and adjustable, the fan can also be carried out with you during the day, attaching to car seats or pushchairs to help cool baby down on hot days.
The fan has three adjustable speeds and is quiet, meaning your baby can sleep while it’s on. The fan can also rotate a full 360°, giving the room an even distribution of air during the hot days.
The batteries can be recharged with a power bank, or by PC or laptop, meaning you won’t have to spend a fortune on batteries either.
4. Mobile air conditioning unit
- ❄️ 【The Best Alternative to Air Conditioning】 IcyAir’s senior engineers lasted three years to design specifically for the European market, bringing the perfect solution for your summer: 1. No expensive installation costs, 2. No chemical refrigerant is very environmentally friendly, 3. 110W energy-saving design, will Save your wallet very much.
- ❄️ 【Excellent Cooling Capacity】 The powerful air flow is 800 cubic meters per hour, the vertical 60° and the horizontal 120 oscillate, which can guide the airflow to your favorite position, with 2 ice crystals, bring you more powerful cold air, it is you and The best choice for your family. It can be used as a humidifier, and it declares a war against dry heating air in winter.
- ❄️ 【Unique Negative Ion air Purification】 The unique negative ion release function can purify the indoor air and make your breathing smoother. It can also improve sleep and eliminate static electricity in the air. If you stay in an environment full of negative ions for a long time, it will also delay aging and produce beauty effects. The detachable filter can filter dust, pollen, smoke, peculiar smell, pet dander, larger particles and PM2.5 particles in the air.
The mobile air conditioning unit is something special. On its own, the unit can be used as a regular fan to evenly circulate air through the room. Even better, it has a setting called ‘sleep wind’, which is designed to be a quiet and calm circulation to help with sleep.
If you add water into the tray, this unit acts both as a humidifier and a cooler, keeping the temperature down and stopping any dry hot air from interrupting your baby’s sleep.
If you add ice into the tray, it will give this cooling system a boost and act as a saviour on the hottest summer days.
Once full, the tray can last for 12 hours meaning you don’t have to constantly refill the system. Even better, it comes with its very own remote control so you can power it without even having to get up.
Just be warned, this is one of the pricier options out there. But with all of these features, you definitely get what you pay for here.
What temperature is too hot for a baby?
The normal temperature of babies should be around 36.4°C. If they are over 38°C, your baby is overheated.
Overheated babies can be irritable, restless and develop a fever. In extreme cases, babies can also develop heatstroke.
If your baby is too hot, remove some layers of clothing. If you have a fan, you can also turn this on to help direct cool airflow in the room. Never point a fan directly at the baby, instead, turn it towards the ceiling.
If your baby is unwell, they may have a higher than normal temperature. In these cases, you need to put fewer layers of clothing to help them lower their temperature.
What temperature is too cold for a baby?
If a baby is too cold, they become lethargic and less responsive. If a baby’s temperature goes below 35°C, they’re considered to have hypothermia and will need medical help.
When testing a baby’s temperature, don’t feel their hands and feet as these will be naturally colder than the rest of their body. Instead, feel their chest or the back of their head. If these are cool, your baby will is too cold.
Another sign that your baby is too cold is if their hands and feet start to turn blue. This is a natural occurrence in babies and not a reason to worry. Once they have returned back to normal, the normal hue will come back.
Sleep tips for parents
Having a baby is notorious for sleepless nights and spending days wandering around like a sleep zombie. Although this guide is designed for your little one, we have some tips and advice to help newborn parents get the sleep that they also need.
To start with, you might want to read our guide on sleep deprivation to find out how you can catch up on your missing hours and cope with your day on less sleep.
If you want to make the most of the quiet time and peace you get, you’ll be interested in our guide to the quickest way to fall asleep.
You can find more sleep tips for a soundless night here.