Sleeping on your side is the most popular position for people in the UK to sleep in.
In fact, it’s reported that 69% of the population are side sleepers. Unfortunately, which position you sleep in at night is only one ingredient to what makes a great night’s sleep. There are dozens of other factors that can influence your night, such as the temperature of your room, the clothing you wear, the mattress you sleep on, and the pillows that you use.
If you want to get the best night’s sleep, you need to make sure that you have the best equipment at the ready. It’s like making sure that you’ve got a proper pair of running shoes before trying to run a marathon.
To help you out, we’ve put together our list of the best pillows for side sleepers on the market right now.
The best pillows for side sleepers on the market right now
Our team have tried and tested every product on the market, finding the best pillows for side sleepers available.
One of them could be the perfect pillow you’ve been searching for. Ready to sleep the best night’s sleep you’ve had? Let’s find out what the best pillows for side sleepers are…
1. Ecosafeter Contour Memory Foam Pillow
The Ecosafeter Contour Memory Foam Pillow is designed with a unique curved shape to perfectly fit the shape of your cervical spine.
This means that your neck and back are in a more natural position while you sleep, helping with your posture, and further easing any neck pain that you may have.
Made from memory foam, the pillow will also keep its shape and give you better comfort night after night. What’s more, it also comes with a dust-proof and breathable inner cover, helping those with allergens.
- 【New Type of Pillow】-- Designed this pillow according to recommendations from sleep experts.Help everyone relax the cervical spine and bring deep sleep.This design is to help everyone have a wonderful night.
- 【Eco friendly Inner & Outer Cover】-- Unlike other pillows, this pillow has a dust-proof and special breathable inner cover, which more effectively extends the service life of the memory foam core.The outer cover removable,washable and breathable,material is 40%Bamboo,60%Polyester.Put the cover into the machine wash, do not wash the memory foam core, just put the core in ventilated place with no sun; Pillow is stored in a cool, dry place, avoid direct sunlight
- 【Contour Unique Design】-- Medium firm feel, suits back, side and stomach sleepers, put your head and neck in an natural position. This pillow, with its premium high-density memory foam, the height of the pillow changes with the personal sleep position, head size/wt, overall body size/weight, shoulder width (side sleep), keeping it at the most comfortable level. Sleeping in perfect alignment, you'll breathe better - and snore less
2. Doctor Developed Knee Pillow
The Doctor Developed Knee Pillow is a medically approved wedge pillow that you can strap to your knees. This will help ease pressure on your hips, alleviating symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome, and maintaining your cervical spine alignment.
If you’ve recently gone through any surgery on your knees, hips or shoulders, these pillows can also help your recovery by keeping you in the right alignment at night.
Made from memory foam, the pillow will keep its shape night after night, giving you long-lasting support and comfort. In addition, the pillow also comes with a detailed handbook, showing you the best uses and benefits that you can unlock with your knee pillow.
- ✅ Free handbook with condition-specific information - Written by licensed medical doctors, with input from a multidisciplinary team of healthcare professionals and professional athletes - This handbook will help you get the most out of your new memory foam pillow
- ✅ The perfect, painless night's sleep - Our pillow has been designed by doctors, athletes, and physiotherapists to provide support all night without deflating like a balloon - When used between the knees, the pillow will prevent pelvic rotation and improve spinal alignment - This will relieve the pressure on your sciatic nerve and stop your sciatic, hip, and lower back pain from developing
- ✅ Designed to re-align your spine - You will be so happy with this pillow that you will jump out of bed with a spring in your step - High density and odor-free memory foam is wrapped with a machine washable soft airtech fabric - It won't make your legs sweat - We have also included a fitted leg strap so you don’t lose the pillow in the middle of the night
3. MARNUR Contour Memory Foam Pillow
The MARNUR Contour Memory Foam Pillow has a unique orthopaedic design that’s developed to help align the spine for both side and stomach sleepers. What’s more, it also comes with an armrest space, allowing you to have somewhere to relax your hands during sleep.
The MARNUR pillow is designed with two different ends and heights to perfectly meet your sleeping needs. One end is 135mm with a high curve, made for side sleepers who prefer a low-thickness pillow. The other end is 85mm, which can be used by back sleepers that prefer a high-thickness pillow. It’s one pillow, with many different uses.
In addition, the pillow comes with a washable outside cover and inner cover to help remove allergens and dust from the pillow.
All these contributed to make this pillow enter our list of the best pillows for side sleepers.
4. Kissmoon Pillows
The kissmoon pillows are a 100% hypoallergenic and soft pillow that makes you feel like you’re sleeping on a cloud. They’re specially made to never go flat, keeping their shape but providing a softer alternative for those that don’t like sleeping on memory foam pillows.
The pillows are also machine washable, keeping them clean and allergen-free.
The only downside is that these pillows don’t have a specific design, they are shaped exactly like normal pillows. If you need extra spine alignment at night, this might not be the pillow for you. However, the Kissmoon pillows come in packs of 2, making them great value for money.
- ☁️With 3D clusters plush filled fiber design, Kissmoon bed pillows extra soft to sleep on. Durable 100% hypoallergenic polyester fiberfill for the perfect amount of comfort and do not go flat. It feels like sleeping on a soft and fluffy cloud.
- 🌙Dual-layered side-band design support to ensure you a rested night of sleep. Kissmoon pillows are firm but soft and easy to maneuver into a comfortable position for side, back and stomach sleeper. Pillows size: 72*43cm
- 😊With reasonable height sleeping pillows provide personalized support to your head, neck and shoulders relieving pain and enhancing your sleep. Note: Vacuum sealed for shipping - but fluffed up upon opening. Just let pillows air out 24h for reflate completely and dissipate initial smell.
5. Easylife Lifestyle Solutions Side Sleeper Neck Support Pillow
The Easylife Lifestyle Solutions Side Sleeper Neck Support Pillow is also a great alternative for those that don’t like sleeping on memory foam pillows. It’s made from a special hypoallergenic fibre filling, keeping the pillows soft while making sure it’s free from allergens.
The pillow is designed with a butterfly shape, helping side sleepers to get into a comfortable position that will help align the spine at night. In addition, it’s topped with a zipped removable and machine-washable pillowcase for easy care.
- SLEEP BETTER; The Side Sleeper Neck Support Pillow helps you get a more comfortable, relaxing night’s sleep
- NECK PAIN RELIEF; Orthopaedic pillow's special butterfly shape helps to reduce strain on your neck and shoulders
- SAY GOODBYE TO SNORING; This anti snoring pillow enables you to breathe easier, helping reduce the symptoms of mild sleep apnea and snoring
Is sleeping on your side the healthiest way to sleep?
There are a number of benefits to side sleeping, such as decreased levels of acid reflux, a lower chance of snoring at night and less back and neck ache in the morning as your spine isn’t elongated during the night.
That doesn’t mean there aren’t downsides to side sleeping. It might be good on your neck, but it can mean a lot of problems for your posture, causing more long-term issues down the line. It’s epically not good for those that also sit at a computer all day.
In addition, if you’re a fan of your beauty sleep, side sleeping can also increase your chance of wrinkles because half of your face is pushed into a pillow. Oops.
Like any sleeping position, there are benefits and shortfalls to every sleeping position. It’s about finding one that you’re comfortable in and helps you the most at night.
What type of pillow is best for a side sleeper?
One of the best pillows for side sleepers of single-piece foam pillows. This is because they can cushion the head and neck, while also providing more support to your spinal alignment. Knee pillows are also recommended with side sleepers, as this will help ease pressure on your hips and give your posture added support during the night.
However, there’s no one perfect solution with pillows. To find the right one, you need to get a pillow that provides both comfort and support to you, which means trying out at home.
What is the best pillow for side sleepers with neck pain?
Neck pain occurred when your neck is misaligned with your spine while you’re sleeping. For side sleepers, this can be common with people who like to sleep on lots of pillows, which raises their head above the curve of your spine.
To help with this, the best pillows for side sleepers with neck pain are firmer pillows that correctly support your head. Memory foam pillows are often a good match for this, but be careful that the pillow isn’t too firm as this can lead to more neck pain.
The best way to get a pillow for neck pain is to try one for roughly 2 weeks, measuring if it has made an impact on your sleep and neck pain.
How do you pick a side sleeper pillow?
The best way to pick a side sleeper pillow is to take note of how you sleep at night and what aches or pains that you suffer with. If you’re having a lot of neck pain, you may want to try a memory foam pillow that can offer more support to your neck and spine.
If you prefer sleeping on softer pillows, the memory foam ones might not be for you. It’s all about preference and trying the pillows that you think are the best match.
You can use our list of the best pillows for side sleepers to get started. Then try your pillow for at least 2 weeks to see if they’re making a difference to your sleep.
Where do I put my arms when sleeping on my side?
The best place to put your arms while you’re sleeping is by your side. This is because if your arms are raised overhead, they can pinch your shoulder muscles leaving you with sore muscles.
Just be careful to try not to lay on your arms, as this can cut off blood supply and make them go numb.
Is it bad to sleep with your arm under your pillow?
Yes, it can be bad to sleep with your arm under your pillow. That’s because having your arms overhead while you sleep can punch your lower shoulder, leading to muscle pain and soreness.
In addition, if you sleep with your arms under your pillow you can cut off your blood supply to the arm, meaning you’ll wake up with a dead arm or pins and needles. In some cases, this can also wake you up in the middle of the night, leading to disrupted sleep that will make you feel tired and irritable the next day.
Need more tips for a great nights sleep?
We got you covered.
See our sleep tips to help you conquer a range of problems, such as sleeping on a plane, the best position to sleep in at night or the quickest way to sleep at night.