Keeping yourself cool at night helps you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer. It’s one of the key ingredients for a good night’s sleep.
If you’re finding yourself hot and bothered during the night, or if you’re waking up in the night in a sweat, then the temperature of your bedroom is far too hot to get a decent night’s sleep. The solution? Picking the best cooling mattress protector to keep you cool.
There are a number of options that can help cool you down during the night, but if you’re finding that even after sleeping with a window open or fan on you keep waking up in the night, then the problem lies within your mattress.
The best cooling mattress protectors in the UK right now
Because mattresses are made from different materials, they handle heat differently. Some are very cooling, allowing air to pass through during the night. Others, however, retain heat, making it hotter and hotter as you sleep.
That’s where cooling mattresses protects come in. They help distribute and disperse the heat from your mattress, keeping you cool and sleeping soundlessly all night long. And to help you see the power of them, we’ve rounded up the best cooling mattress protectors on the market right now for you to browse.
Think a cooling mattress protector might be the right solution for you to sleep soundlessly through the night?
You’re in luck. Our team have tried and tested all the top products out there, creating a list of the best 5 cooling mattress protectors that are worth your attention.
Ready to see what the best on the market are? Let’s jump in.
1. Viewstar Bamboo Waterproof Mattress Protector
- 100% waterproof;
- Made from hypoallergenic bamboo;
- Breathable and cool;
- Fitted sheet design;
- Machine washable.
The Viewstar Bamboo Waterproof mattress protector is the ultimate in comfort. Made from bamboo fibres, the luxuriously soft material will change your perception of waterproof forever. Free from the horrible noisy plastic protectors, this waterproof tress protector will protect your bed from all manner of stains and spill – while keeping you comfortable and cool.
Available in a range of sizes, this fitted mattress protector can work on your double bed or on a child’s bed to also protect them from night-time accidents. All materials of this bed mattress cover are certificated by OEKO-TEX and safe for both adults and children.
With prices starting from £18.99, this cooling mattress protector is a bargain for a great night’s sleep.
- 【100% Waterproof】This double mattress protector is made of superior waterproof Tpu membrane, a premium material that allows more airflow and cooling than vinyl; Effectively block all kinds of liquids, spills and stains from ruining your expensive mattress, and you don't feel any plastic noises while sleeping on it
- 【Breathable & Comfortable】The surface material of this deep mattress protector scientifically made with bamboo and polyester mixture, a perfect ratio that makes it soft and smooth to touch yet ultra-durable to withstand daily wear and tear. The comforting bamboo fabric is moisture-wicking and inhibits the growth of odor.
- 【Fitted Sheet Design】The double mattress protector measures 135 x 190cm , which can easily fit your waterproof mattress protector double with up to 40cm depth. As the all around is elastic, this waterproof mattress protector is easy to install and remove for washing
2. SOPAT Double Mattress Pad Cover Cooling Mattress Topper Cotton Top Pillow Top with Down Alternative Fill
- 100% cotton surface;
- Soft snow down alternative fill;
- Fitted sheet design;
- Machine washable.
The SOPAT cooling mattress protector is made from two layers of 100% breathable cotton, designed to keep you cool at night. Sandwiched in between these layers is snow down alternative fill, a state-of-the-art fiberfill that has the feel of authentic goose and duck down without the feathers or poking. This gives you the softness and comfort of this mattress pad, without runny eyes or stuffy noses.
Not fluffy enough? Just throw this mattress topper into a dryer for 30 minutes on low heat to restore it back to its cloud-like softness.
The SOPAT cooling mattress is available in single to super king sizes. With a deep pocket fit, it’s guaranteed to fit snugly onto any mattress for a truly comfortable night’s sleep.
- Breathable and ultra Soft: With the cloud-like surface, made of 300TC 100% cotton, gives superior comfort without extra heat and sweat. Compared to the normal diamond quilting seam, this one with new shape is more supportive and soft.
- Healthier Sleep: Filled with snow down alternative fill, a state-of-the-art fiberfill that has the feel of authentic goose and duck down without the feathers, poking, the mattress pad can keep your mattress free of stains,offering sweet nights.
- Take it easy: Although the cover is cotton, the spilled fluid can be wiped quickly. And due to its thickness, the fluid will not soak the mattress if it’s less than 200ml. Feel free to enjoy your breakfast on bed.
3. Comfier Sleep Store Waterproof Quilted Mattress Protector
- 100% waterproof;
- Hypoallergenic bamboo material;
- 40% cotton blend for extra softness;
- Fitted sheet design.
Want to combine a colling and waterproof mattress protector but still want to feel that cotton softness? The Comfier Sleep Store quilted mattress protector is your answer.
This mattress protector is made from 60% bamboo fibres and 40% cotton. The result? A hyperallergic and cooling mattress protector, with that soft extra touch that will make your nights as comfortable as possible.
Available in cot bed sizes to full king-sized mattresses, there’s a fit for you. Prices start from £17.45, making it a very cost-effective and affordable option for your bed.
- 100% WATERPROOF — This Double Mattress protector has Total protection against any fluids, accidents or spills. Special Waterproof Smartfilm layer underneath is designed to keep all liquids away from your double size mattress.
- ANTI ALLERGY — Quilted Mattress Protector has Unique Smartfresh technology that protects your double size mattress against allergens, dust mites, bacteria and pet dander. Ideally suited for anyone suffering from allergies. Bamboo plant itself contains natural antibacterial properties so your allergies will be better contained.
- NATURALLY COOLING — Mattress Protector for double bed with Bamboo blended fabric is naturally cooling. Bamboo has fantastic properties that dissipate heat making it cooler for you to sleep on. And Waterproof membrane is fully breathable which allows the air to flow freely so you never overheat during the night.
4. RECCI Waterproof Mattress Protector
- Waterproof protection;
- Hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant;
- 100% bamboo fabric;
- Fitted sheet design;
- 10-year warranty.
Perfect for those with allergies, the RECCI mattress is made from natural bamboo, a hypoallergenic material that’s resistant to dust mites is extremely skin-friendly and soft to the touch. It also adopts the latest heat insulation technology, allowing it to form a natural barrier against heat and to block it automatically. No matter how hot it may get, the surface of this cooling mattresses protector will always stay cool to help you get a soundless night’s sleep.
100% waterproof, this protector will save your mattress from all kinds of stains and spills. With a soft natural bamboo surface, you’ll be able to get this protection without the loud, crinkly plastic materials that ruin traditional waterproof mattress protectors.
What’s more, the RECCI cooling mattress protector also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee and 10-year warranty. A 10-year cooling mattress protector for £25? You can’t get better value for money than that.
- ✨【100% Waterproof】 Keep your expensive mattress in pristine condition with RECCI PREMIUM BAMBOO MATTRESS PROTECTOR! With a discreet waterproof membrane on the reverse, this mattress protector is 100% waterproof and offers heavy-duty defense against spills, accidents, stains, and bed bug infestations. This bed bug mattress protector is great for those with kids, pets, allergies, asthma, eczema, or incontinence.
- ✨【Cool & Breathable】Designed with your comfort in mind, the surface of our waterproof mattress protector is expertly crafted from premium breathable bamboo fabric that won't trap heat while you sleep. The super-soft and highly breathable mattress protector helps wick moisture away and regulate body temperature, so you can enjoy a fresh and cool sleeping environment!
- ✨【Deep Pocket Fitted Style】Our mattress protector features a fitted sheet-style design with a deep pocket and an elasticized knit skirt stretches to secure the mattress protector tightly in place on mattresses up to 30CM deep. Plus, the elastic-bound corners allow for easy application and removal of the deep mattress protector.
5. Original Sleep Company Keep Cool Breathable Cotton Mattress Protector with 3D Air Relax Technology
- Cool airflow lining;
- Non-allergenic 100% pure cotton filling;
- 100% cotton top cover;
- 38cm fitted skirt;
- Machine washable.
With 100% cotton lining and filling, the Original Sleep Company cooling mattress protector is one of the most comfortable that you’ll ever lie in. But as well as being comfortable, this protector will also help your body maintain a comfortable temperature all the way through the night thanks to its Cool 3D Air Relax technology.
We think this 5* customer review says it all:
“No more sleepless nights!! My lovely comfy memory foam mattress was making me so hot that I spent all night hopping out of bed to cool off. Not any more! This mattress protector has been amazing at cooling me down. Great product, great price, very fast delivery. And my husband approves as well even though he didn’t feel the heat like I did. 10/10”
The only downside is that there are fewer sizes available for this cooling mattress protector, so if you were planning on getting one for the entire family, you might be out of luck.
- Air Flow Lining to help towards Keeping Your Body Cool
- Non Allergenic 100% Pure Cotton Filling
- 100% Cotton Top Cover with a 38cm Fitted Skirt
Do cooling mattress covers really work?
Yes, cooling mattress protectors really do work at regulating your temperature and keeping you cool at night. Although some of them may be more effective than others, they work by increasing the breathability of your mattress, allowing air to flow through the topper.
That means if you’re too hot, the cool air can flow through your mattress topper to keep you cool at night. If your mattress was made from a non-breathable fabric, like memory foam, the heat from your body would stay in the material with no means to escape, meaning you’d get hotter and hotter as the night went on.
What’s more, because of the breathability of cooling mattress protectors, they will be able to help regulate your temperature year-round. That means keeping you cool in the hottest summer nights and keeping you warm in the coldest depths of winter.
What’s the difference between a mattress protector and a mattress topper?
A cooling mattress protector is a thinner, protective material designed to protect your mattress and cool your body down. Although they vary in width, they’re normally quite thin and can be attached to your bed like a normal bed sheet. Some mattress protectors are also designed to be hypoallergenic, helping resist dust mites and other allergens. Typically, mattress protectors can be made of cotton, wool, polyester, or thin layers of foam or padding.
A mattress topper is much thicker. Instead of acting as a barrier between you and the mattress, it’s considered an extra supportive layer of your mattress. For example, if you have a thin and extremely firm mattress, toppers can be used to add an extra, softer layer to your bed to increase comfort levels. Typically, mattress toppers are often made of foam, latex, wool, or down.
Mattress toppers can change the fitness levels of a mattress, and in some cases can also offer additional pressure relief for those that are suffering from aches and pains in the night.
Should you put a mattress cover on a cooling mattress?
Mattress protectors are a good idea for any bed.
Not only will they safeguard your mattress against dirt, spills and allergens, they can also provide a welcome extra layer of comfort. Without a mattress protector, even the best mattresses can quickly fall into bad condition. However, a mattress protector will ensure that your mattress will remain fresh, clean and in good condition for much longer.
Pair that up with regular mattress cleaning and disinfecting, and you can make your mattress last years longer than it would without it.
How often should you wash a mattress protector?
At a minimum, it’s recommended that you wash your mattress protector every 2 months – or whenever there’s a spillage on your bed. Whichever event comes first.
You spend 8 hours a night in your bed. Naturally, this means that your mattress will become a haven for dust, grime and dirt. In fact, According to The Sleep Council:
- The average adult produces 285ml of sweat a night;
- The average adult sheds 454g of dead skin a year, making great food for dust mites;
- The average bed contains 10,000 dust mites, which means more than 2 million dust mite droppings in your mattress.
Luckily, because your mattress protector lives underneath your sheets, they don’t need washing as often as your sheets do. They’ll also provide an extra layer of protection to make sure this grime doesn’t get to your mattress as easily, keeping your bed more hygienic.
It’s also a good idea to check whether your cooling mattress protector is machine washable. No one wants to be washing their protectors by hand.
How long should a mattress last before replacing?
What is the difference between a mattress pad and a mattress protector?
Do I need a thick or thin cooling mattress protector?
Most mattress protectors are very thin by their nature. They’re not designed to add extra inches to your bed, but provide a small extra layer of comfort and protection.
However, cooling mattress protectors can come in different shapes in sizes. Generally, if your mattress is thin and firm, you might want to consider a thicker mattress protector or pad to offer more support. If you have a medium-firm mattress, a thinner protector will do the job just as well.
The material that a cooling mattress protector is made from can have an impact on how thick or thin it in. All of our best cooling mattress protector choices are made from cotton or bamboo though, as cheaper polyester choices just don’t have the cooling technologies the other materials offer.
What are other ways to keep cool at night?
Want some more tips to help you cool down at night? There are plenty of things that you can do to keep your temperature low and your sleep undisturbed, including:
- Sleeping with a window open, particularly on hot summer nights;
- Making sure that your heating is turned off or lowering your thermostat, which will also save you money;
- Positioning a fan near your bed (if you can cope with the noise!) or investing in a cool-mist humidifier.
You may also want to consider having a shower or a bath before going to bed, as this will cool your core temperature down. This can also help wind you down mentally for the night and be a part of a great sleep hygiene habit to get yourself into.
Some people will also find that sleeping naked is a great way to keep cool – and can provide some great health benefits at the same time.
The best cooling mattress protectors for a fresh night’s sleep
With this guide, you should have the information you need to pick the best cooling mattress protector – and know what the best options are on the market to get started.
But before you buy, it’s worth remembering that sleep solutions don’t happen instantly. Whatever you choose, make sure to try it out for more than a week to get used to your new pillow and see if it really does make a difference.
If you’re still too hot even with a mattress protector, you may even want to consider changing the material of your mattress into something more breathable and cool. Don’t worry though, we’ve got plenty of help and advice to help you choose the right mattress.
Looking for other ways to improve your sleep? Discover our range of sleeping tips here.